What is CO
Candidate Orientation, or CO, for short, is the name of WEC's pre-field training system to induct new workers into WEC. This is a requirement for anyone seeking to join WEC International in a long term capacity.
WEC Australia's CO is designed around a modular system. We offer multiple starting dates for new applicants and run a flexible 8 week program consisting of four two-week blocks to be done within a twelve-month time frame. These modules are tailored to fit individual circumstances and future ministry.
How to join
If you are interested in being a long term missionary, you will start
out by being in touch with a Mission Mentor. Our Mission Mentors are happy to meet
with you and talk through where you are right now on your journey toward
cross cultural mission. Ask them to take you out for a coffee.
Your Mission Mentor can tell you about WEC, any options you may have, the
process for joining WEC and how to prepare. They can also discuss with you
specific opportunities to serve on WEC branches.
Once you feel that WEC is the mission you would like to join you can
apply to be a candidate.
To help ensure people are ready to apply, there are some criteria to meet and your Mission Mentor will explain these to you along the way.
Once accepted as a candidate you will participate in Candidate Orientation (CO). This process takes a minimum of 8 weeks, though can be spread out across 12 months.
The primary functions of CO are orientation to WEC, its principles and ethos as well as mutual assessment of suitability by both WEC and the candidate.
Candidates receive training in the scriptural principles and practical working of WEC as they take part in the life and work of WEC Australia.
To help ensure that everyone who joins WEC is a “good fit” we have drawn up some criteria you will need to meet in order to begin the candidate process:
- You are interested in being involved in long-term (more than 24 months) cross-cultural church planting, even if planning to be in a support role.
- You have a definite leading to WEC International which is endorsed by your church.
- You and your church leadership accept WEC's objectives and statement of faith.
- Your church leadership would happily have you on their ministry team.
- You have read the whole Bible.
- You have a vital spiritual walk.
- You have evangelism and discipleship experience.
- You have demonstrated that you have a God-given ministry which will contribute to WEC International's objectives.
- If you have not completed a recognised course of Bible training, you will need to commit to completing this required training within five years of your arrival on the field.
- For non-native English speakers, a level of 5 IELTS (or equivalent) is required.
The Mission Mentor will also meet with your church leadership, to help both you and your church understand what it would mean to be sent with WEC, what WEC believes and how we work - so that everyone's comfortable with it.